Skerry vs NE Dory

Hi all, first post here. I have anted to build a boat for quite some time now. The have moved on, just me, wife and two dogs. I would like a boat to row and sail. We live near the Missouri River in Great Falls, Mt. This time of year the river is calm and it would be nice to go fishing in a rowboat, winds generally light. In the fall we get some booming winds and have a few lakes fairly close. I have never sailed. We do currently kayak. I noticed in the galleries that the sailers of the Skerry sit on the floor??,  And the Dory sailers sit on the seats while sailing. I think the seat option would be much better. Any advise on which way to go. Recreational, no racing, hope to learn much. Would be nice to sail out into a lake and drop the sail and relax, fish for awhile.

I don't even know enough to know what questions to ask. 

Thanks for any help. 

MikeB

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry vs NE Dory

IMHO, you will get more boat out of the dory, especially on the rowing fishing side of your wants.Both are sailsboats but the Dory gives more options such as sliding seat rowing or 2 man rowing and I believe more volume.

Thanks Longboarder, I was leaning toward the Dory, then I was leanig toward the Skerry. I think the Dory does look to be more versatile. I have been on Youtube watchi9ng sailing videos. I can see myself doing that! I did get into sail boarding briefly in the 80's. Very fun, didn't need another expensive hobby. 

Hi Mike,

I have been sailing my Skerry for years and love it.  I can come home from work, trailer it to the beach and be on the water in 10 minutes.  It rows very well (have even placed in a couple amateur races), and it sails adequately.

I am not very familiar with the NE Dory, but it is obviously more boat than the Skerry.  However, if you are serious about sailing, I suspect the trade-off in extra weight is that the NE Dory may point better into the wind (especially with the sloop rig).  This is the Skerry's real weakness... in my opinion.

Steven Roberts

http://www.skerrybuild.com

Something to consider; the space you have to build and store the finished boat. The Dory is only slightly larger but in my case it would have been too large to work on in my garage.   

NE Dory sailor here so I am likely prejudiced!  

A coupld thoughts--Dory payload: 800, Skerry 450.  A good option many builders do is the inner rail kit for looks but also to provide a place to tie things on.

If you do the sail kit:

--suggest lug rig to be able to switch between sail and row out on the water.  Somewhere on the CLC web site there is a write up on the lug rig  but I cant find it.

--suggest getting either 1 or 2 sets of reef points in the sail to make sailing easier in higher winds.

Curt...817/456-2878 [email protected]

Boat Build Photo Journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink

Oops...forgot...also suggest kick up rudder   

I just finished a 5-day beach-camping cruise along the coast of Maine in my Dory, so I have some pretty good ideas of what that boat can do (have not been in or sailed a skerry).

The Dory rows well and sails well. Sails amazingly well.  I have the lug rig.   But the one thing you need to keep in mind on rowing is, you are rowing a BIG rowboat.  WIth one rower, it moves along but it's not a dinghy.  We found in Maine that with 2 rowers simultaneously, we could cruise at 3 knots for hours.  That with at least 200lbs of gear in the boat.

I'm sure the dory is heavier than the skerry.   Even empty, 2 guys could only realistically carry it 10 or 20 yards at a shot.  But If you're only launching from a trailer though, it's a piece of cake.  Two people can very easily roll the dory up a beach, by placing a big cylindrical boat fender underneath it to roll on.  (One to lift up the end while the other person sticks the fender under it). The only time we had to carry it was when the beach had big rocks in it.

The Lug rig allows you to switch between 1-man rowing and sailing almost instantly just by dropping the sail.   2-man rowing requires removing the mast and the mast partner, but we did it several times while we were on the water when the wind died.  The sloop rig is stayed, which means it would be very tricky to unstep the mast while underway.   I would "stay" away from that.

Re Moonchaser's advice on getting reef points -- If you're sailing on a river or small lake, you really don't need them.  If it's blowing hard enough when you start that you need them, you probably don't want to go out in the first place. They are more for when you are out and a long way from home and the wind kicks up. But I have been out in 18-20kts and didn't really feel a need to reef.

Might be a little late getting in on this thread but I find the Dory easier to stand up  and move around in. I even use one of those long stand up paddle board paddles while standing. Must admit I've only been in the Skerry twice though, I'm sure you could get used to the smaller boat if weight or storage space is an issue.  

Use keyword  lug nuts to search the site. It's in John's blog.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.