pros and cons of pre glassing

I have never pre glassed. But what are the pros and cons of it?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: pros and cons of pre glassing

Pros:

• Less sanding later.
  • Less sanding later.
  • Less sanding later. You can literally get the parts all of the way to a 220-grit surface before adding them to the hull assembly.
  • Because the parts are flat on a bench, you have much better control over the resin application, and thus the strength and appearance of the laminate tends to be improved.
  • You can use peel-ply.
  • MUCH more ergonomic.

Cons:

• Not every part in a given boat can be pre-coated or pre-'glassed, and it is tricky to visualize what parts and why. 

(We tried this with Passagemaker Dinghy builders and arguably just confused everybody. For example, you can pre-coat Panels 2 and 3 on the PMD's interior, but not the bottom panels or Panel 1, because they are joined structurally by fiberglass later.  If that made absolutely no sense to you, then you see what I mean by "tricky to visualize.")  

That was anouther question i had. when it all gets put togeather you still have to drill through the finshed product and wouldent you still have small gaps at the seams?

Yes, you drill through and stitch, fillet and tape the panels, just like bare wood. And just as with bare wood, the fillets and tape cover the holes and gaps.

Laszlo

>>>> That was anouther question i had. when it all gets put togeather you still have to drill through the finshed product and wouldent you still have small gaps at the seams?>>>

Yes, that's another "con," if you aren' t looking out for it.  On the Passagemaker Dinghy, for example, the seams between the pre-coated panels still require careful sealing after the boat has been assembled.  

ok cool all in all does not sound like a bad deal 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.