Hybrid Night Heron vs. Shearwater 17 Hybrid

The Hybrid Night Heron is 18 feet long with a 20 inch beam and the Shearwater 17 Hybrid is 17 feet long with a 22 inch beam. Which of these two designs would be faster over a long distance in calm waters, with a payload of 180 pounds?

Judging by the hull dimensions, the Night Heron would seem faster, yet the CLC performance gauges show the Shearwater to be faster than the Night Heron.

Perhaps in the real world with an average paddler it's too close to call?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hybrid Night Heron vs. Shearwater 17 Hybrid

Theoretically, the NH is longer and narrower, so should be faster. It is not likely you could measure any difference between the two, though. The NH has a flat bottom, which is great for playing in the surf, but reduces its tracking. The Shearwater has a V-bottom and tracks beautifully so you can focus more on your speed and less on keeping it going in a straight line.
-Wes

Wes makes a very good point regarding tracking ability and speed. As well, above water line measurements don't mean too much.

I have no experience with these two boats but i doubt if there would be much in it.

I have a Shearwater 17. I was able to demo a Night Heron Hybrid, for comparison, at a meet.  They seem similar at "cruising speed", but my SW seems just a bit faster when pushed to the max.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.