Re: weight reduction tech

Posted by Kyle T on Jun 4, 2005

I agree with that Lee, I�ve got the pivoting foot controls on the drawing board. I�ve looked inside of every tandem I�ve come across in the past three months trying to find a system I want to duplicate. To date I haven�t been knocked out by anything I�ve seen so I�m working on developing my own system. I simply didn't have time to include them before we had to have these boats in the water so I had to go ahead with the sliding Yakima. And BTW, we went with front steer on these tandems.

The rudder itself is the big-ticket item as far as weight is concerned. The larger blade for tandems is really heavy and the aluminum angles used to hold the rudder are massive. I can see another visit to carbon fiber land is in order. I will probably replace all of the aluminum in the rudder assembly with carbon fiber parts.

The only sad part is that the homemade carbon system will cost less than I spent on the Feathercraft assembly that I used once and now want to replace (times two). Those things happen when you have to meet a schedule. I hate schedules.

--KT--

In Response to: Re: weight reduction tech by LeeG on Jun 4, 2005

Replies: