Re: weight reduction tech

Posted by LeeG on Jun 4, 2005

I've made two rudder set-ups with yakima foot braces with hinged toe plates (glassed 4mm) about 2 1/2" x 2"(or whatever fits if you put the rails lower). A length of hollow braid vectran line is used to adjust for leg length between a ss. eyelet on the rudder wire in the cockpit(near hips) and attaches to the top of the toe plate. A bungie on the back of the toe plate is connected to the bottom of the footbrace to pull it forward. The hollow 1/8" vectran line costs about $.35/ft and has the same breaking strenth as ss. wire. You can make a constrictor eyesplice with it that enables you to adjust the length (like a chinese finger toy). It's cheaper and stronger than the Sealine set-up and can't get knocked out of position.

I've seen a lot of stock push/pull systems with webbing and adjustable straps that have 2" of slop on either rail. With the above set-up there's NO slop and no chance all your leg strength will stress the rudder rigging. If your feet come off the rudder will tend towards the center. If the rudder gets whacked sideways you won't have to fight it with your legs and force the rudder back against whatever hit it.

I've seen some yakima foot braces with what looks like manufactured pivoting footbraces but don't know who makes them.

In Response to: Re: weight reduction tech by Kyle T on Jun 4, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.