Re: Q on the order of thi

Posted by Steve Miller on Jun 3, 2005

There is no need to sand your uncoated plywood with 80 grit. You will cut thru the top ply in a hurry and be very sad. The plywood you are using is sanded face to begin with. Any epoxy fillets need to be sanded of course but I would just do a very light sanding with 220 on the wood first. Very light - by hand. Next do 2 coats of unthickened epoxy over the interior. Do them fast so there is no sanding in between. The first epoxy coat will raise the grain a bit on the wood anyway. Before sanding wash out the interior of the boat to remove any blush. Use a scrubber sponge from the kitchen and plain warm water. Rise well (turn on side and hose out).

Now you can sand fillets without worry that you will cut too deep into the surrounding wood. Also sand the rest of the interior but I would not use 80 for this. I'd start at 120 or 150 then on to 220 or a bit finer. It will take a bit longer but remember that you are doing varnish prep not epoxy stripping. Use a scraper too for any runs or drips before you sand. Take care and time with this sanding. Enjoy it and if you get tired or start thinking bad thoughts about your boat then go away and come back later. The "zen of sanding" will result in a boat like your goal.

After the interior is smooth do a third coat of epoxy. Sand that with 320 wet just to dull the gloss and any blush. Wait a week or two and start varnish coats so the epoxy gets a chance to cure. Sand between varnish coats with 400 wet. No coarser. I do every other coat with a 3M pad (fake steel wool - green). Lots of info on here about varnish. 4 coats min - I do 6 or more since you can sand off the top coat or two each season (or as needed) and add two coats without ever getting to bare wood. Thus keeping your boat nice.

Have fun and post pix!

In Response to: Q on the order of things. by mullman on Jun 3, 2005

Replies: