Cutting nylon webbing deck loops

What's the best way to cut the nylon webbing loops so they won't unravel? Have most of you been using something like a heated utility knife, or is it easier to first make the cut with a cold knife and then hold the cut end near a flame to melt the loose fibers together?

Thank you,

Mark

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cutting nylon webbing deck loops

I cut mine with scissors and then used a bic lighter to seal the ends. It doesn't take much, just a quick pass with the flame

razor and candle ,to make the holes i use a philipes head screw driver heated in the candle and pushed through the webbing into a hol drilled  in the bench

I set up our MSR propane camp stove, and held a utility knife blade in a pair of vicegrips.  The high temp of the propane got the blade nice and hot.  I then heated a large diameter nail for the holes.  

Worked great.

~Chris 

I use a soldering gun with interchangable tips. The knife tip cuts the material and seals it with one easy pass. The round tip drills and seals the screw holes in a jiffy. -Wes

I use Chris' method except I use a propane tourch instead of a camp stove.  I also make the pieces long enough to double over both ends rather than one as recommended by CLC.  It takes about 4" of webbing.  Works great.

Paul G.

i just used a pair of side cutter (used for wire) and melted the edge with a soldering iron and used the iron to make my holes after i folded the end and they stay folded. you can squeeze the folds when still hot works great

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mark

I used to cut my nylon webbing with a hot cutter which also can cut  cord and rope. It's very helpful and convenient.

i cut mine with scissors and used soldering iron to seal the end and make hole works nice and fast

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.