Lifting loops/toggles on a kayak w/ rudder

Hello, I'm nearing the end of a long 2 year journey to finish out my Chesapeak 17 and I have a finishing detail I'm stuck on.  I have a smart track rudder kit assembled and attached already and looking to add a grab handle/loop somewhere at the stern for ease of transport and to use as a hauling tie point.  However, rudder assembly and lines I can figure out how/where to add hole and loop?  The problem is that the loop needs to be on top for hand carrying to beach/water/similar and it should then be down below the rudder for transport tie down.

I've done some generic internet searching for "kayak grab loop with rudder" and can't seem to find a good solution.  Does someone have an image of something they've installed so I can visualize what to do? 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Lifting loops/toggles on a kayak w/ rudder

I don't have a picture, but do have your identical kayak and rudder.  My lifting handle (home made with about a 6" antler piece and thick parachute cord) is very "standard" in design. a loop of line simply runs through a sealed hole drilled through the after/upper portion of the pointy end of the stern/bow, about 2 inches "down" and 2 inches "in" - through the epoxy filled bow/stern pours. The handle lines are run inside/inboard of the rudder control cables, and the handle just flops around on top of the steering cables/rudder horns/back deck.

I have no trouble with fouling, tangles, interference. Everything seems to peacefully coexist back there.

I can tie the kayak down while it is rightside up by either tying only to the lifting handle rope loop near where it gos through the hull, or even threading the handle down under one side or the other of the steering cables.  Not pretty, and maybe slightly off-center, but works.  Or you could install the carry handle per usual, and by using a big enough through-hole in the boat, run a second permanent loop of line through there that was alread situated in the "down" position (you decide if it hangs below the lower pintle or above it - not sure at exaclty what point it might start to add drag in the water if you're worried about that).  You could use this loop for a tie down point.  Or maybe you don't use the lifting handle or loop as the tie-point at all, and tie around one of the rudder pintles? I never did that, but should work now that I think about it.

RE: Lifting loops/toggles on a kayak w/ rudder

I use the handles that CLC sells on all of my boats with over stern rudders.  Easy to install with T-nuts and extra pieces of plywood as a backing plate.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.