Fuzzy CNC puzzle cut

Hi all,

A brand new first-time boat builder here, with questions about a S&G build. I've just purchased a complete kit (Shearwater Sport), and struggling even before I get started. I'm surprised by the degree of fuzz on the CNC cuts - particularly around the small radii of the puzzle joints. I don't know if this is normal or a particularity of the machine used by the Australian distributer, but I can't find anything in the manual to suggest the level of clean-up I think is required.

There doesn't seem any way I could get the joints together without a reasonable bit of sanding. It's not particularly time-consuming (unless you cound the time spent on caution and angst), but I'm a bit worried there might be something I'm missing in the process. I've started on the hull panels, which I'll paint, so hopefully cosmetic concerns will be easier to manage - but are there risks with panel alignment, or other concerns if you start playing around with these cuts? The ones I've done so far are still SUPER tight (definitely some hammer+block whacking to get them together), so I don't think alignment will be impacted, but...?

I've been using a little roll of 120grit sandpaper for the cleanup. So far just at a dry fit.

original cut

cleaned puzzle cut

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fuzzy CNC puzzle cut

I had the same issue. It was my first build and I thought that the puzzle joints would go together right out of the box. I dry fitted without sanding, big mistake. I barely got them back apart without damaging them. I quickly learned that a light sanding was what it needed. It is tedious but you will find that all the pieces will require some sanding, planing etc...The kit is not a jigsaw puzzle that one just puts together. CLC makes some parts slightly oversized so each individual has some material to work with while fitting things up. SB

RE: Fuzzy CNC puzzle cut

Thanks for comment SB. Yes, I assumed that was the case, but pretty nervous about getting started, so was looking for some confirmation... I don't object to the clean up work - not really more than a few minutes on each panel so far (plus a few hours of angst and deliberation), and it's part of the process. I guess I just don't quite understand the full scope of that procss yet! Thanks again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.