Peapod waterproof flotation

The peapod manual calls for foam flotation blocks glued under the seats and for the seats to be removable for maintenance, access to floorboards, etc. 

I am considering closing off large portions of the bow, stern, and two compartments under the middle seat with thin plywood to create storage compartments accessed by hatches.  It would be easiest to use the seats as the upper deck of the compartments-which would mean that all would be epoxied together.  That would make things stronger, but impossible to take apart.  Is that such a bad thing if there is hatch access for maintenance?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peapod waterproof flotation

I would be careful permanently securing the center bench.  It would make getting floorboards back up  and centerboard pin for maintenance very difficult. 

Michael

I did consider under bouyancy tanks fixed to the underside of the seats for my build.  They would have been the same size as the foam bouyancy and would have lifted out with the seats (so no loss of ease of maintenance).

There was a prevoius forum thread about it:

https://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/52069.html

I have sometimes wondered about large tanks in the ends (a bit like the Skerry) it would provide lots of bouyancy but it might cause problems for the mast steps.

I have seen another approach to bouyancy on a peapod (but without providing storage) - inflatable boat rollers under the side benches - it was to keep the space under the centre thwart clear for sleeping.

Paul

Paul et al,

Thank for your responses.  The current plan is for sealed compartments on the ends, but with the middle seat boxes attached to the seat and so removeable.  Access will not be impacted.  I LOVE the idea of those boxes being removeable for sleeping!  Another engineering challenge...  

Michael

Amazing--I was just searching the internet to a solution to this problem and finally remembered the CLC forum only to look and this question is on the first page of new threads.

I'm just finishing my peapod and put off a decision about the floatation blocks--I don't like the idea of so much foam taking up space. I'm hoping to use the peapod for camping on local lakes with my kids so I'm loathe to give up the space. 

Have you considered floatation bags? They'd be a lot more flexible than the foam blocks and some of the float bags are designed to be packed with gear, then inflated. I'm not finding any of that design that aren't tapered for the ends of kayaks, but to me that seems like a viable solution. 

Just found this in my searches. Maybe I'll make some custom bags.

https://www.storerboatplans.com/boat/sailing-boat/cruising-dinghy/diy-pvc-buoyancy-bags-and-dry-bags-for-dinghies-and-canoes/

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.