Is this a mistake? Petral Play - strip built

First time builder. Got the forms set up and making final adjustments. I'm using the 3 sided spacers  like I saw in Nick Schade's videos.  Seeing that I will need to flip everything upside down to begin stripping, I figured I better screw them down so they stay in place.  Just want to make sure this is not a mistake - before I get in too deep.  The forms are pretty snug in place, but am planning on hot gluing small wood squares to hold them in place.

Thanks!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Is this a mistake? Petral Play - strip built

Tried to upload a picture from google pictures, but failed.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOqSYi5sUmb04OE1v1oehXWRYIC1UEmt_Ueh5J6

Hi J Scott, 

there are lots of ways to do this but if you are going to flip it over, i would do something to ensure that gravity would not make them fall off.

there are really no mistakes to be made at this point.  its just before you starting placing strips that the opportunity for a mistake comes up.

the most important thing is that before you start stripping, confirm that everything is lined up as expected.  and then reconfirm after your first strip on each side....that everything is still lined up. 

after that first strip on each side, you will lock in any misalignment.

to the extent that a screw works or hot glue works to keep things from moving around, make sure you still have the ability to adjust the set up if you need to.  sometimes, despite our best efforts, misalignments show up when you move the strong back or place that first strip.

i am currently working on a strip build....it's a very exciting step... getting your strongback and forms all ready...

i have slightly different approach then the three sided and i have large wing nuts that hold the forms to blocks on the strong back....and then i can adjust a couple millimeters up down, side to side and rotate and then lock it in with the wing nuts.

below is a picture confiming line up after the first strips are in place.

sounds like you are going be just fine.

best of luck.

h

Thanks so much!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.