Pram Alignment Issues

Been working on my Eastport Pram kit and have run into a couple of unexpected alignment issues with the daggerboard trunk and the front seat/partner/bulkhead.

The trunk sits about 1/4” too far forward to make solid contact with the mid bulkhead. Screwing it in as is would leave the bulkhead bent slightly forward of a straight line. Unsure how this happened unless I installed the bulkhead slightly out of plumb, despite my best efforts with wiring it into the correct place.
Daggerboard Trunk

Trunk 2

Anyway, I can either:

1. Screw it in as is, accept that it’s slightly bent and might not show much under the seat
2. Fill the gap with a shim or thickened epoxy
3. Trim the locating tabs so the trunk sits further aft. I’ve already trimmed them a bit short, but since they don’t seem to do anything but locate the trunk, I don’t think this is an issue.

Any issue with option #3?

Second issue came up as I’m fitting the front seat. I have about 1/4” before the seat meets the transom. Trouble is, moving the seat 1/4” forward will put the forward face of the mast partner nearly flush (<1/8”) with the forward bulkhead. I’m likely to need to trim almost the entire front edge off the partner doubler to get it fit properly. Again, unsure exactly how this happened.

Partner

Will that make the partner too weak? Or should I stop where I am and bank on filling the gap at the transom with epoxy and wood flour?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Pram Alignment Issues

Second try on the pics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/36kFVfLz9i6fW7hG9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T33m8sBWH4mNgwXJ8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QvFRoBfqD1krdGp56

For the daggerboard trunk/bulkheadI wouldn't do your option #1.  Probably not a good idea to introduce a curve into the bulkhead.  I'd probably go with #2, but it might be simpler (and maybe stronger) to move the daggerboard--I doubt 1/4" would make much difference in its location, and you're going to cut the slot later, if memory serves, right?.

Don't know what to say about your mast partner business, so I won't say anything.  Hopefully, someone who's actully built an Eastport (mine was a Passagemaker, and 10 years ago at that) will chime in.  Besides, I'm more of a boatwrong than a boatwright.  <;-)

.....Michael, AKA Gramps

For the daggerboard trunk/bulkheadI wouldn't do your option #1.  Probably not a good idea to introduce a curve into the bulkhead.  I'd probably go with #2, but it might be simpler (and maybe stronger) to move the daggerboard--I doubt 1/4" would make much difference in its location, and you're going to cut the slot later, if memory serves, right?.

Don't know what to say about your mast partner business, so I won't say anything.  Hopefully, someone who's actully built an Eastport (mine was a Passagemaker, and 10 years ago at that) will chime in.  Besides, I'm more of a boatwrong than a boatwright.  <;-)

.....Michael, AKA Gramps

I have no idea why that posted twice....

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.