Finish on Hatches

I'm about to add hatches to my MC 16.5. I thought it would be better to cut the hatch openings in my deck before glassing, hope that is the right progression. My question is: the manual states the the exterior finish on the hatch can then be varnished, if it is not glassed and coated with the same amount of epoxy as the deck won't it look different when varnished? Both deck and hatches will be bright? Hope everyone has a great 2024! SB

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finish on Hatches

You are correct: cut first, glass later.

Also correct in that plain varnish will not look the same as glass and epoxy and then varnish. It won't be as durable, either. So cut and then glass both the deck and the hatch cover and then varnish everything. Here's how folllowing that procedure turned out on my WD12:

Hatch cover cut out from unglassed wood.

Sill and rim built out.

Deck glassed.

Hatch cover glassed.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks for the response and pictures! The flush hatch you did is amazing. Definitely makes the sit on top look crude but I've got to "dance with the one I brought" at this point. Good reason to start another after I finish this one in 2024. SB

Laszlo, after seeing how your flush hatch turned out I thought that I would try cutting my sit-on-top hatch out like it was a flush hatch. Should be good practice for my next build, thanks for the inspiration SB

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.