Southwester removable motor well?

I'm receiving my kit sometime early December with the motor well option included.  Because I would like a little more room in the boat when sailing or rowing, (my wife thinks I should have a motor), I was thinking of developing a modification to the motor well that would allow me to remove it when not needed.  Has anyone tried this?

I was thinking of moving the well 2-3" forwarded to allow for a flange on the bottom.  With captured bolts in the floor, hatch gasket and acorn nuts, the well could be bolted to the floor.  At the top of the well, I would extend the sides back to the bulkhead, essentially straddling mizzen mast.  Maybe some cam lock fasteners to hold it tight to the bulkhead.  When the well is not in use, a plate gets attached to the floor in the same manner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Southwester removable motor well?

Sounds feasible, and working with wood-such an easily modifiable material-almost anything can be accomplished.

One thing you might at least think about is whether you'd like to move the hatch such that it had to be installed from the outside/bottom of the hull. Of course it would require creating a sealing lip/ring for it to press against, and could be designed such that the outer side of the hatch was flush with the hull.  The reason I'd give this some thought is that the water pressure (granted, 6" of depth or so is minimal pressure) would be tending to seal the hatch against the gasket, much less relaince on fastener hold-down pressure to create the seal.  With a hatch installed from the inside, I'd fear anything less than a good solid sealing surface, strong, flat hatch that never warped, good gasket, firm fastener pressure, etc. might lead to leakage.

You'll obviously not be pulling the motor well waterborne withe either design, so an exterior hatch could work, but you'd also need ot consider a little more fussing about how you'd access it to install - sitting on trailer, rolling boat on its side, whatever.

RE: Southwester removable motor well?

Bubblehead,

Great food for thought.  If I could install from the top side it may be easier,  but I appreciate your point regarding the seal.

Thanks

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.