Orange Peel

I'm painting the interior of my MC 16.5. I'm a first time builder so I probably did some overkill but I was trying for an auto quality paint job. I fiberglassed the interior, coated it with microballon/epoxy sanded at least 80% off finishing with 220grit on a long board. Looked damn near perfect. I even applied primer but ended up sanding literally all of it off, what a waste of time and money, the forum was right again. My question is: does rolling and tipping really look like it was sprayed on or almost like it was sprayed on? I'm getting some minor "orange peel" in my finish. I've never seen a homebuilt wooden kayak before so I don't know if it's possible. Is this something I'm just going to have to accept? SB

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Orange Peel

Hi San Bernard, 

a properly applied roll and tipped paint application should be just as nice as a properly applied sprayed application.   properly applied assumes a properly prepared surface, no contamination, contolling temperature and dust and viscosity of the paint and good technique.

in fact, oranage peel it typically associated with spray work and if you are seeing it on roll and tip, its either a contamination or a tecnhinque, preperation issue.

a car like finish typically involves the application of a clear coat over the color coat and it gives a depth and mirror like finish that you simply wont get (at least upl close) to a paint only finish.  clear coats can also be polished.

i would not over think it.  remember, this is the boat interior.  and the interiors are subject to abrasion and dirt.   so you are probably fine.  fwiw, take a step or two back, where you typically are when you look at a boat, is the better judging point.

here are two homebuilt kayaks in high definition.  one painted yellow with varnish...and another varnished.   from a couple steps back...like i said is where you should judge.

have a great day

fwiw....for both boats, if you open these pictures in a seperate tab and look carefully, you can see the reflection of the pebbles in the paint.  again, no clear coat here.  just a couple steps back.

h

fwiw....for both boats, if you open these pictures in a seperate tab and look carefully, you can see the reflection of the pebbles in the paint.  again, no clear coat here.  just a couple steps back.

h

Thanks H, I'm probably being to picky but the reason is that I've never painted using this technique and I want it to look as good as possible. I'm using the interior as practice for painting the hull, in fact my next coat will have non skid added to it so none of this will matter when I do that. Have you ever used that before? Not sure what to expect, maybe semigloss or flat which should cover up the problem. These little boats can be a big challenge when I see the level of finish that some go to. I just hope mine will turn out as well as yours did! SB

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.