Interlux Flattening Agent

I'm painting the cockpit of my MC 16.5 and I'm a little concerned that the gloss is going to reflect too much light back at me. I thought that maybe a flat paint would be easier on the eyes. Interlux nor Pettit make flat in Grand Banks Beige but Interlux does make a flattening agent as an additive. I'm also using Pettit paint but for the final coat I plan on using Interlux over the Pettit. Anyone out there have experience using the flattening agent. Should I be concerned with applying Interlux over Pettit, both will be single part polyurethane? SB

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Interlux Flattening Agent

I've used it and done it (on the interior of my Rhode Runner) including crossing up the paint/flattener manufacturers. I just went ahead and used Interlux flattener in Petit paint, as my final coat over Petit paint. (1 part poly paints.) Or you can do as you indicate and shift to Interlux + Interlux flattener for your final coat. Everything will be compatible either way. I like the way things turned out, mixed on the shy side of semi-gloss.  I wouldn't go beyond a semi-gloss mix. The big reason is that the less glossy, the more the paint will pick up stains and the harder it will be to wipe clean.  I haven't had any problems with my level of semi-gloss. Taking off the gloss also helps hide imperfections as an added benefit, if that is any consideration.

The worst part about it?  The flattener stuff aint cheap!

-Bubblehead

I'm going to add here, for the benefit of more on paint discussions: I won a gallon of Petit from CLC at a boat show.  Thanks very much, but it was gloss white.  After much research and conflicting written and verbal professional opinions I selected those that "agreed" with me and decided to take the risk of tinting the paint.  Took it in to Lowes, pulled out a color card off the rack (light peachy-white) and had them mix the color.  It turned out very close to, but not exactly like the color card.  And the paint has held up for 2 years now just as well as anything.

Trying to get a big, significant color shade change away from white might not yield the same results, but then you'd want to just buy the color off the shelf from the marine brand of your choice anyway.  The good news is this allowed me use the $150 (or whatever the going price is now) can of paint, as I wouldn't have used bright white.  And of course when the remnants of this can are gone or too old I won't have an off the shelf touch-up color option, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks for the advice, especially the part on semi-gloss. I have one more coat of Pettit,  then on to using the flattener. 👍 

Thanks for the advice, especially the part on semi-gloss. I have one more coat of Pettit,  then on to using the flattener. 👍 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.