Stitch orientation

I'm sure someone has asked before, why stitch inside to out. I'm on my third sng boat and I started doing my stitching from the outside in. It seems to work best on the convex joints. It is self aligning the edges of the panels. Also, I can reach around and under the boat without getting stabbed. The fairness of the chines is also easier to see. On the bow and stern sections it is still a little easier to go from inside. I'll be using this hybrid approach from now on. Any thoughts?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Stitch orientation

i think you can make the switch.  i think the 'standard' approach is a residue of the practice of not removing the stitches prior to filleting the seams.

if you tack the hull together after stitching and then remove the stitches, not a problem.  but if you wanted to fillet the seam, you can't easily fillet over the stitch if the long part of the wire is in the fillet's path.

h

RE: Stitch orientation

but if you wanted to fillet the seam WITH THE WIRES IN PLACE, you can't easily fillet over the stitch if the long part of the wire is in the fillet's path.

boy i wish they had an edit feature.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.