Wood Duck Hybrid

I have done kit builds of both the Wood Duck 12 (2010) and a PMD with lug rig (2022 - see Teri Ann in the PMD gallery), and now I’m considering building the hybrid version of the WD12 this winter. I have two questions:

• Is there a significant difference in the level of complexity/required skills necessary to build the deck versus these previous projects I've successfully accomplished?
  • Are there larger power tools required for the strip-built deck (like a table saw, etc)?  

Regards, Ken in Pittsburgh

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck Hybrid

You'll need a lot more patience. Instead of the 25 pieces of wood in a standard WD12, you have 22 plus 400 strips. There's also 12 temporary deck molds instead of the 3 in the standard kit. Each of those strips needs to be individually shaped and placed. The skills you developed with the other boats should be enough to carry you through, but you'll have to use them a lot more than in the standard version.

Unless you plan on cutting/milling your own strips you won't need any new tools as long as you have a stapler, razor saw and a small block plane (the kind you hold with 3 or 4 fingers).

I considered a strip build at one point and decided that I don't have the patience for it. I'm more into using the boats than building them. But if you have the right temperament and the interest, based on your past boats you also have the skills and tools.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hi Ken, 

i made the transition from stitch and glue to strip builts a while ago and i think its very manageable - especially the idea of starting with a hybrid wood duck.

laszlo does a great job explaining the additional tools you will need.  nothing big or particularly expensive and almost all of the tools, sans a stapler, are things you could reasonably be expected to have if you were a a skilled stitch and glue builder.  

i did want to highlight that while Laszlo described "400 strips, each of which needs to be individually shaped", i think its a bit of an overstatement.

first, each strip in the kit is 6 to 7.5 feet long X 3/4 inch wide X 1/4 inch thick.  so the number of strips is probably closer to 60 strips....not 400.  ( i think laszlo confused lineal feet of strips with number of strips).  and while each is 'individually shaped', as a practical matter, most of the strip is not touched and the only shaping is at the ends.....and on this project.....thats just not that complicated a shaping exercise.

anyway, what i mean to say is, this boats deck is one of the easier/least complicated strip jobs...and there is not a lot of it to be done.

check out all the videos on this or similar build...i would go for it.

best, 

h

Good, Howard weighed in. I was hoping that he, Mark or Dan would come in and give the experienced stripper builder's point of view. 

400 lineal feet seems a lot more reasonable than 400 strips, so is probably correct. I got my information directly from CLC's WD12 Hybrid a la carte materials list where the quantity listed for the strips is 400, no units specified. Since quantity for everything else on the page indicates piece counts, I assumed that it was the same. Thanks Howard for spotting that.

Laszlo

My ears are ringing....

My first 2 boats were Shearwater Hybrids. The beauty is that the hull goes together relatively easily and you get to be creative on the deck. Doesn't have to be fancy, but my wife asked me if I could do this (scroll down), and it managed to win best in show...

https://clcboats.com/newsarchives/okoumefest-chesapeake-small-boat-festival-2011-page2.html

I've done a total of 5 hybrids at this point and I find them really fun (to build and to paddle).

Dan

Thanks to all of you. You've convinced me to get the hybrid.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.