Painting Under the Deck on MC 16.5

I'm getting close to installing the deck on my MC. The manual says to apply a coat of epoxy just prior to putting it on. One coat of epoxy sounds a little light. Could I put 2-3 coats of paint instead? Would the dried paint be too stiff or cause other issues?

SB

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Painting Under the Deck on MC 16.5

Hi SB,

the purpose of the epoxy is to waterproof the underside of the deck....and paint won't do the trick.  you can put another coat of epoxy (e.g., two coats) if you are concerned that you might have left something off.  i often do that.  you could even put a 3rd coat on.  it will not have any signficant impact on the bendiness of the wood.

coats are best done with a roller.  the link to the product on the CLC website is below:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/foam-roller-covers.html

you can use a foam brush too....but the rollers are a lot easier to get smooth, thin, complete coats.

h

Thanks h, 

Would you let the 2-3 coats of epoxy fully cure before installing the deck? 

Hi SB, 

curing goes through a couple phases ....so i would generally plan to install the deck within 8 to 48 hours after the last epoxy coating.  at typical working temps in the 80's, most epoxy will be tackless after about 8 hours.   however, it can take easily a week or more until things are 'fully' cured.   you just don't see much of the action that is happening after it is solid and tackless.  

if you went longer than 8 to 48, you wouldn't have a problem...but you might want to lightly sand the part of the deck that is coming into contact with the hull to provide good mechanical adhesion.   if you are in the 8 to 48 zone  (lesser with higher temps), you don't need the sanding.

i would note the sanding is not a big deal...it's just a light scuffing of the surface....so i would drive my deck installation with what is convenient to my schedule...where you have time to work comfortably on this steps which all has to be done in one session....and not be overly concerned with its proximity to when i put the last coat of epoxy on the deck underside.   that said, and my personal preference, would probably try to line it all up to happen within a week.

h

Great advice. I will plan on applying two coats then putting the deck on the next day. I don't like to sand if I don't have to! Trying to do all of that in one day would hurt. Thanks again!

SB

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.