Tools

Hi,

I am new and this is my first post on here. 

I am looking to build the annapolis and the Northeaster. What would be the basic tools to have as an homebuilder for carry out these two.

Thanks 

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tools

Small block plane, Japanese-style 'pull' saw, utility knife, small wood chisel, pair of pliers, wire cutter. That's about it.

A small battery-powered drill will help if you need to drill holes, a cabinet scraper for smoothing puzzle joints after epoxying panel sections together. Maybe a random-orbital battery-powered sander if you're uncomfortable doing sanding by hand.

I've found the "Shinto Rasp' thing particulary helpful when smoothing epoxy, shaping solid wood parts & various kinds of activities. That might be the only tool among those I've listed that you won't find at any good hardware store but CLC sells 'em.

And sandpaper... various grades from 80 to maybe 220. Sheets, discs for your power sander.

And... clamps

Habor Freight is a good place to start

Dean

CLC has a good list of useful tools and supplies. The one essential I would add to that list is a very good dust mask. Something like this.

I found these:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/riffler-rasp-set.html

...to be real handy in cleaning up epoxy fillets and such.  Stuff is hard as a rock.

.....Michael

Thanks All.

@telltale:   Make that "lots of clamps", from my experience.  Boy did I need clamps!

Hi there,

I agree with most of the previous posts. As someone who was new to this prior to building a Chester Yawl, my addition to the list is a heat gun. 

From The outet, I made mistake with epoxy, starting with the epoxy on the finger joints. I used too much epoxy. I sanded and sanded. I also worried that I would send down into the thin plank. 

Someone on this forum pointed out that with careful use (don't chat the wood) a heat gun can soften up the excess epoxy enough so that you can easily scrape it off. When it cools again, there is no damage to the joint and you just need to do light sanding.

All the best in your build!

DaveJ

I don't know where you are,but if you are planning on building the boats in the winter, in a cold area of the world, then get about 5 aluminum work lights with 100 to 150 W bulbs.  They will give your work space lots of light and heat for the epoxy to cure. 

Belt sander, not for finishing work but for shaping,like things you might use a plane for. Cabinet scrapers are great but you'll need to get on utube and learn  how to sharpen them. A good respirator for when you get to sanding epoxy

More clamps! And with a wider jaw than you think you will need!

On the other hand, I may have missed it, but where are you starting from for a project like this? Are you starting from zero? Or, do you have some tools on hand? Also, how much would you like to do by hand, as opposed to having all the fancy tools and equpment? For example, a router and router table are nice, but it's possible for hand-tools to achieve the same results -- and better if you are willing to aquire the skill to do so!

So for me an an aswer to to your question, requires more background on where you are coming from, and what it means, and what you want to achieve out of building a boat.

But, in the end --- you will want more clamps!

digger

Added in the News & Events listings (tabbed above) there's this you may want to read:

https://clcboats.com/boatbuilding-news-events/top-tools-and-why-you-need-them.html

Good suggestions from folks doing these kits for decades now.

I had good luck with home-made pcv clamps. Clamps from 4" pipe can be spread to nearly 4". I made some 1 or 2" wide and others 3" or even 4" for greater pressure.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.