Autumn Leaves

Indigo, Autumn Leaves hull #1, ably built by Al Stead in Duluth, MN has come home to Maryland. Al built her as a gaf yawl. I've completely replaced the rig with a Marconi sloop yawl, as originally designed by John H. Current sails are makeshift used things while Douglas Fowler builds a new suit. Yes, the jib sail being used for the mizzen drives me nuts too. (insert Sideshow Bob shudder here.)
We had a nice drifter in a 1-3n breeze with 30 minutes of 4-5 or so. She ghosts along nicely. Wish we had a bit more breeze but was happy to get her relaunched after three months of work. She's laid up for winter while I make the final rig tweaks and cabin fitout proceeds.

We'll be sailing primarily out of Whitman, MD on Harris Creek, wicked pretty there don't you think?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Autumn Leaves

What a gorgeous photo of a gorgeous boat! It will be a veritable palace of all your years of camping with the NE Dory. Congrats. And keep up posted about your experiences with the boat. It's such a new design that we all lust after information.

Silver Salt, would like to come out and see sometime if you're available; i usually get down to the Wye River or Sassafras with a sailboat to cruise a handful of days once or twice a year.  Am building an Autumn Leaves kit in northeast Penna., but it's slow going.  Thanks for your post.  

Thanks Mr. Birch. I'm looking forward to hot meals, getting out of the rain and being able to sleep without worrying about capsizing the dang boat in the middle of the night! She barely heels when I stand on the toe rail. Ya can’t do that in a NE Dory!

kurlanny, no problem. I’m in the next “watershed” down from Eastern Bay and Wye River area, 30nm or so by water, less if wind and tide serve at Knapps Narrows. Yes, the build looks like a serious undertaking. Finish it off the same way you eat an elephant. One bite at at time.  

You may have heard of Doug Dawson and Terrapin. His boat registration shows Pennsylvania. He’s done an exemplary job on his AL. I’ve pored over pics of his boat in the gallery and gleaned some gems. You might have better luck finding contact info for him than I have. Either that or he really doesn’t want to be found ;-)

Laszlo and I will likely parade Hulls #1 at BLBF. He in his Fairing and Indigo for me. It’s coming up this May I think, look in the Events tab of this web site. 

Silver Salt,

Thanks, will try and make the BLBF event - looks like 5/27/22.  Your elephant analogy is right on point.  I try to do a little bit of elephant chewing each day.  So far I've got a coating of epoxy on all the bulkheads.  Next need to coat the bottom pieces and side hull pieces.  Anything exposed to water will get 2 coats of epoxy on each side.  Once all the surfaces are epoxy'd I hope to start affixing cleats to the bulkheads.  When it's warm enough (it's 12 out there now), will glue the side pieces of the hull together (3 per side I think); a big step then i suppose will be to make the subassembly for the bilge boards out of bulkheads 3, 4, 5. Figure it'll be April or May by then!

kurlanny, if you want to post your contact info I'll shoot you a note so we can coordinate. 

Silver Salt,

Sure - [email protected] 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.