Canoe designs

Excuse me for reposting this, but I see that I misspelled canoe, which makes the post a little confusing... I have perused design after design of different canoe designs at $50 per plan. I understand the basic ideas of rocker, aspect ratio, maximum displacement and wetted area. That does not account for the myriad canoe designs out there. Can someone recommend a book or books that goes into detail on canoe designs? 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Canoe designs

Well here's one source with an online excerpt of their book on canoe design:  https://www.bearmountainboats.com/blogs/news/anatomy-of-a-canoe-essentials-of-good-design-canoecraft-excerpt

And look up JH Rushton, who drew the Wee Lassie back when, for historical perspective. 

And if you are ever in reach of a CLC demo day just try them and see what fits. 

wow Mumichog, what a nice find.

i thought i would add the following text....which is not about canoes but was a great resource to me when i was younger and trying to understand boats from an engineering perspective.

aero-hydrodynamics of sailing   

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Hydrodynamics-Sailing-Czeslaw-Marchaj/dp/0877429936/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1A2DK5E0LAXYU&dchild=1&keywords=aero-hydrodynamics+of+sailing&qid=1627601110&sprefix=the+hydrodynamics+of+sail%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

while it was written about sailboats, it really is widely applicable to all boats and was a real treat for folks who wanted a more engineering/physics oriented treatment as well as good coverage of the environmental considerations, (waves, windage,etc) and design tradeoffs that are made in hulls.  so it gets undeneath a lot of the heurestics and shows you the math and physics behind the treatment you see in the excerpt that mumichogs piece described.

anyway, it was (and is) a treasured resource i have had for 30 plus years with more than several copies gifted to collegiate sailors and others who i met who wanted a deeper dive into the topic and a willingness to have some math and physics worked into the treament.

h

Thanks. It looks like a very good book that will help me in understanding canoe design. I will order it as soon as I return to the States.   

The book on Aero-Hydrodynamics also looks like a great find. I will be returning to the States soon. I originally wanted a canoe to travel the Amazon, but I have decided to return to the States, I have chosen the New Bern area of North Carolina so my horizons on boat building have increased. I am currently looking at a cruiser/racer sailboat design by Selway Fisher. Cruising around the Outer Banks near Cape Hatteras and out to the gulf stream looks to be a great challenge.

A usa retailer.... .https://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/catalog/boat-building-books/canoecraft-ted-moores

Spira, I told you wrong about the sailboat. The study plans that I am looking at is a B&B Yacht Designs Core Sound mark 3. I will be anxious to see what the book that you recommended has to say about the design style. 

>> I have chosen the New Bern area of North Carolina so my horizons on boat building have increased. I am currently looking at a cruiser/racer sailboat design by Selway Fisher. Cruising around the Outer Banks near Cape Hatteras and out to the gulf stream looks to be a great challenge. <<

Wonderful area!

Just keep in mind that cruising around in Pamlico Sound and cruising off the Outer Banks are two entirely different things.  Whole *ships* have founderd off the Outer Banks, some famously. Hatteras has shoals, currents and weather that go out for miles.

Whatever you decide to build will be a tradeoff between mild local and intense offshore sailing.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the warning about the dangers of cruising from the outer banks. I do not think that they call it the graveyard of the Atlantic for nothing. I have spent a lot of time in the area and have heard the history. I think that the 20 foot sailboat that I have in mind, with 300 pound water ballast, is about as seaworthy as I can afford. She is a cat ketch rig copied from a Nathaniel Herreshoff copy. I will have to see if she behaves like the designer claims.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.