Cleanup after first epoxy coat on fiberglass

I am building a Skerry and applied the first coat of epoxy to fiberglass yesterday. The Skerry manual says to glass the bottom and first panels, up to the lap joint to the second panel.

The surfaces seem mostly good. Most of the cleanup that I have to do is at the stem/stern, and just past the lap joint.

1) The wood shows through the fiberglass, and the weave is visible and present to my touch. However, there are a few spots where the epoxy is a bit thicker, and the weave is not present, e.g.

2) The stem and stern are a mess, due to runs and epoxy spreading to the fiberglass hanging below the lap joint.

3) In the lap, there are a few bubbles.

4) The edge of the 2nd panel has a tiny bit of glass hanging off. What to do here -- sand gently by hand?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cleanup after first epoxy coat on fiberglass

Oops, sent that a bit too soon.

The question is: how to clean up these messes.

RE: Cleanup after first epoxy coat on fiberglass

Dremel tool w/ a small cutting bit to cut the large bubbles away.  Sand the edges to taper and laminate a patch into it, making sure to press out any air. On the stem, any patch should be done w/ cloth on the bias so it lies better over the angle of the stem.  For the raggedy edges, a sharp razor blade knife and steady hand to clean up the edge and remove the bigger scrap bits with a little heat from a hair dryer and a sharp scraper or chisel, very flat to the surface.  You should be able to separate the epoxy/fiberglass from the wood that way w/o damaging the wood, especially if it's only been a day or so.  The small bubbles at the edge, I might just open up and go back over w/ more epoxy to fill them. If you are painting, you can mix some thickener in to give it body enough to fill the little holes but not dribble/sag out (I bought the microspheres fairing compound...kind of purple, but I was painting anyway).  If you want clear varnished finish, you might need a couple of thin coats so it doesn't dribble.

And maybe, get a magazine and chair and read a bit sitting by the boat, checking every couple pages and cleaning up sags.  The neat epoxy has a habit of continuing to run when you think it is all done with that.   I had some of the same things, just not quite so much, and recovered.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.