Varnish Experience

So my first coat of varnish on the hull did not go as well as I'd have liked. While maintaining the wet edge I apparently managed to deposit more varnish onto the hull with each section. This morning I wet sanded it down with 400 grit and let it sit. I moved on to the deck this afternoon, opting instead to try rolling/tipping with a foam roller/foam brush respectively. So far this seems to have to have gone much better than the hull. In the meantime this evening I went back to the hull, wiped, and rolled another layer, tipping it with the foam brush like I did with the deck earlier. After an hour or so I checked it and it looks better but I've still got a zebra stripe every foot or so from my first layer. Will this go away when I've added subsequent layers and them sanded back down? Or do I have to remove all of the hull varnish and start over?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnish Experience

>>Will this go away when I've added subsequent layers and them sanded back down? Or do I have to remove all of the hull varnish and start over?

Yes. :-)

Seriously, either way will eventually work - it depends on how much varnish you add and sand away each time and your personal preferences. If you really think you've got the application technique worked out now, it might be faster to just remove the old and start fresh. On the other hand, since you've already got a couple of base coats, wet sanding varnish is relatively easy and you need a certain minimum thickness for UV shielding it would also make sense to continue on with what you already have. You pick.

Laszlo

RE: Varnish Experience

Perfect timing Laszlo. As I respond to your words of wisdom I am checking the deck to see if I have missed any spots while deglossing for another coat. If, as you say, it makes sense to move forward and then remove excess with wet sanding, then that is what I will do. I planned on putting about 5 roller coats on anyway, since I have much better luck with a roller anyway. It is certainly not perfect, but it's perfect in its imperfection.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.