balanced lug lashing adjustments

Does anyone know any good sources of guidance about adjusting the lashings for a balanced lug? I built the NE dory two years ago, but have only sailed it a 8-10 times since finishing the project. I often notice a diagonal crease running from 1st or 3rd lashing from the forward end of the yard across to the back corner of the sail at the boom. I slightly loosened lashings in several places, but suspect I need to make further adjustments. 

Here's a link to a photo:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipONIpD1aK89zt6eJtdl7USchoABOZaIFXQOmJGk

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: balanced lug lashing adjustments

The best collection of Lug Rig advice you can find is here:    Lug Rig Setup Archives - Storer Boat Plans in Wood and Plywood

RE: balanced lug lashing adjustments

When I click on your image, I get a 404 error so you may need to "share" the image.

Here is a link to an image of my dory with the infamous diagonal crease. (I hope I have shared it properly!)

When I get that crease, it means that I have to tighten the downhall. And by "tighten" I mean get it as tight as I can. I push down on the boom as hard as possible while cleating the line. That is usually sufficient to eliminate the crease.

Sometimes it's also necessary to shift the attachment points on the spar or the boom. John Harris has posted some precise measurements for that, but I just do it by eye.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.