Rudder installation questions (Eastport Pram)

Hi all,

First of all, I just launched a rowing version of Eastport Pram! This is my first boat build, and I am very excited and thankful to all of you who answered my silly newbie question. Thank you!

Now, speaking of questions.

After launching I, of course, proceeded right away to the sailing version. I was dry-fitting the rudder housing to the stern transom today, with all the pintles and gudgeons.

Two questions:

First, when I was screwing the gudgeons to the transom, I haven't realized that the screws provided were too long for the bottom gudgeon (the top one is fine, since it's against the transom doubler). As a result, I now have two through holes through the transom into the watertight transom compartment. Suggestions how to deal with it? If I just cover the screws with epoxy before screwing them for real, would it be enough to seal the holes? Or should I just fill the holes with thickened epoxy, get shorter screws and try again?

Second, I noticed that when I turn the rudder all the way, the machine screws and nuts holding the pintles hit the varnished surface of the transom. That can't possibly be good! Do you guys use anything to protect it?

Thank you!

Andrew

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rudder installation questions (Eastport Pram)

After talking to Terry from CLC, I just covered the screws with unthickened epoxy and screwed them in. We'll see how it works out — which is actually not that easy to see since the holes lead into the aft watertight compartment.

Looks like I need to install an inspection port soon.

My Passagemaker has through bolts, washers, nuts accessible through an inspection port.

The port can be unscrewed slightly to vent also

Yeah, right, so that seems to be the difference between Eastport Pram and Passagemaker: the former uses screws and the latter mavhine screws.

I extended the transom doubler below the thwart on my Easport Pram (i.e. inside the bouyancy compartment) to give a more solid attachment for the lower gudgeon. It also helps support the thwart in the centre.

I also put in an inspection hatch in the bulkhead under the thwart, so I could through-bolt the gudgeon.

Building the same boat, you're about three weeks ahead of me.  Thanks for sharing I will keep an eye out when I'm on the same step. 

Your boat looks fantastic!  Well done!!

I would love to hear how you made the cap for the dagger slot.

EHR,

> Building the same boat, you're about three weeks ahead of me.  Thanks for sharing I will keep an eye out when I'm on the same step. 

Based on the other thread, I thought you were building Passagemaker... and I am building Eastport Pram. They are very similar, but I think the hardware that CLC provides is slightly different. In any case, yes, if you will be using wood screws for your gudgeons, make sure that the ones for the bottom gudgeon are short enough.

As to the daggerboard trunk plug, I assentially followed the suggestions from the manual. 1/4" plywood for the top part, 1/2" plywood for the part that goes into the slot, a few small screws to hold them together, and glue them with thickened epoxy and small fillets. Then a few coats of epoxy and varnish.

Here is work in progress:

Yes I'm building a Passagemaker.  Sorry I didn't catch this was an Eastport.  Thanks anyway! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.