The Amazing Wood Duck Double

I built a Wood Duck Double from a kit last year and wanted to pass along some of my impressions of this amazingly versatile boat.  I've documented my build and customization process in a blog titled "Building the 'Swiss Army Knife' of Small Boats...Wood Duck Double" on Lumberjocks.com.  

The boat is light, fast, and stable.  I've paddled it standing up to test its stability and haven't taken a swim yet during these short demos to friends and family!  I took a utility approach on this build and painted it flat green.  This was incredibly freeing as I didn't have to be as picky as with a "bright" build.

I use it to 1) paddle solo in Lake Superior with a solo spray deck I devised that includes a coaming ring that fits my high performance spray skirt, 2) paddle with my 60-pound lab in Lake Superior (he has his own spray skirt),  3) paddle tandem with my wife in Lake Superior with a similar spray deck that includes two coaming rings, 4) kayak fish with features that include an Anchor Wizard, anchor trolley, Helix 7 fish finder, and a 30-quart cooler, 5) hunt ducks with a devestatingly effective layout blind, and 6) speed along with a Torqeedo Ultralight 1103 AC electric motor.

Major modifications include 1) a fixed hip brace at the stern position, 2) removable hip brace at the solo position, 3) removable hip brace at the forward paddling position, 4) removable 4" raised seat platform for the solo position, 5) Rule 1100 electric bilge pump, 6) Smart Track toe-control rudder pedals at the stern position, 7) Feather Craft sliding rudder system at the solo/forward position (needed more leverage to steer the Torqeedo) 8) removable forward shelf to hold my fish finder, transducer arm, throttle, and hook removal kit, and 9) motor mount for the Torqeedo motor.

The boat really needs a hip brace at the solo position to strengthen the huge, "flexy" cockpit.  84" is a long distance to go without bracing the coaming to the floor in some way.  That's an easy, but necessary modification/improvement.  The huge cockpit can be a "bane", but that is also what makes this boat so incredibly versatile.

The boat is probably intended for calmer water and the long, low cockpit takes on a lot of water in the steep chop I encounter in Lake Superior.  That's why I built the custom spray decks to keep the water out and make the boat more seaworthy.  

Regarding the calm water aspect of the boat, it's almost impossible to do a wet reentry when swamped due to the massive cockpit and the low sides.  Water pours in during reentry from the sides.  You can reenter from the stern in calm conditions.  I solved this issue by installing a Rule 1100 electric bilge pump system.  This allows bailing of the boat before reentry and works quite well.  

The boat makes an excellent layout kayak for duck hunting.  I used it all last season with good success.  I fabricated a blind that allows me to transport 18 full-size decoys, 2 goose floaters, my 60-pound lab, 12-gauge shotgun, and my blind bag.  Ducks literally land at my feet.  This setup is right at the 400-pound load capacity and the blind helps keep waves out of the boat!

The Torqeedo motor is probably stretching things a bit for this boat, but I reinforced the rear deck to make it work.  I epoxied wood wedges for the top to level it off for the motor mount and epoxied a layer of 1/4" plywood under the deck aft of the rear hatch.  I tested the motor for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised at its performance.  I had a top, no-wind speed of 8.7 mph and the Torqeedo calculated a range of 31 miles at 5 mph!  That's a testament to how fast the hull is designed.  I'm looking forward to kayak fishing this summer with an electric motor.

That's it for my praises as well as "nits" of the Wood Duck Double kayak.  I've owned 26 small boats over the years and built 10...this is by far my favorite boat!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: The Amazing Wood Duck Double

That's an impressive range of activities and an impressive list of modifications. Good job. You make a fine case for the Wood Duck Double as a very versatile all-purpose boat.

Some Photos

Thanks Birch!  Here are some photos.

This deck is watertight.  Copper is a rock star when we encounter other paddlers.  They almost always want to take a picture!

This shows my Torqeedo setup.  Notice my anchor and rod holder system behind the seat.  The cooler fits underneath that.

Motor prep work for reinforcing the stern deck.

This is the face screen of the blind where it meets the flip blind doors.  The dog sits in the area behind my head.

Different view of the blind.

RE: The Amazing Wood Duck Double

Love it, especially that ghillie suit spray skirt. What's ventilation like in that thing? And if you fire your shotgun across the beam, how does the boat react?

Finally, have you considered adding a Chesapeake duck cannon? :-)

Great job, have fun,

Laszlo

Layout Duck Blind

Lazlo:  

Thanks!  Yes, the layout blind is a lot like a ghillie suit! Here's a video of the blind. https://youtu.be/0mT3y2up9DI  I built the framework from aluminum tubing with Bimini fittings.  Each section is sewn from 500 weght Cordura nylon and then brushed with Rafia grass in four different colors.  The ventilation is good since enough air gets through where parts meet.  It still does a great job at protecting me from wind, rain, and snow.

Here's a photo of my favorite spot where I'm able to drag the kayak up onto floating bog on the edge of the water.  The Smart Track rudder gives an idea of how low this blind sits above the water.  I'm concealed quite well and don't have to consider stability on the bog.  I limited myself to using a 20-gauge shotgun last season since my 12 gauge was an unwieldly pump.  Shooting to the beam, even when floating, isn't a problem since I'm sitting on the floor and the boat is so stable.  I recently purchased a semi-automatic 12-gauge that I plan to start using in the kayak this coming season.  

Copper is the wild card in this boat.  He was more confined in the previous full-size layout boat I built.  He discovered that he can jump over my shoulder when I sit up to shoot on this boat.  That could mean a capsize in open water.  I'll train that out of him this summer!  I also plan to build him a folding boarding ramp to make it easier to get him back inside through his part of the blind after a retrieve.  There's not much worse than a dog wetting out my part of the blind on his way back to his station.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.