Plug for NE Dory Center Board Well

Hi all - 

Finished my NE Dory in May and have been enjoying it sailing and rowing mostly on the Columbia River here in Portland, Oregon. 

When rowing, even on a rare glassy day, a good deal of water splashes up the centerboard slot and soaks my back (rowing from thwart 2). I made a foam plug for the top but it didn't do well keeping the water out of the boat. My back was dry, but it still sloshed around inside.

Then I just used plastic cling wrap and that worked well. But of course every time I sail I tear it off and forget to replace it from the kitchen for rowing. 

I expect there's some drag created from the well being open on the bottom of the boat anyway, so I'd like to figure out a way to plug it from the bottom of the boat.

I keep the boat lifted up, suspended above the water, so I have easy access to the bottom before and after each session.

Anybody make something that worked well? I want something flush with the bottom to reduce drag and splashing. I figure I can add a loop in the top of the plug, with a line running to the top of the well to snug it up and hold it in place.

Anybody have experience using some kind of a closed cell foam product that I could shape to fit the hole? Even better if I could just pour it in so it creates a perfect mold to the hole (including the rounded edges.

Thanks! I'll share some pics if I figure out a good solution =)

Josh

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plug for NE Dory Center Board Well

Josh,

How about a second CB that ends flush with the bottom of the boat? The top of the CB can be a flat cap. That will keep water from spurting in your trunk and also be a quick, topsides switch from rowing to sailing and back again. There still will be a small amount of water in the trunk, but no spurting as you row.

Joel 

I was thinking the same as Joel with the addition of a bungie cord holddown to keep it or the daggerboard from shifting when I want it to stay in place.  I saw something similar on a sailboat rigging gig harbor video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXCuC7qwwQ

I may just buy the daggerboard halves from CLC Kayak and cut it flush with bottom of hull.  And think of a way to do some bungie daggerboard holddown that does not look too out of place.

I think I am will go to the hardwood store to look for a one piece board that will work. Maybe a different board for handle/cap for looks. The 4 pieces of precut plywood from CLC Kayak is $105 plus shipping.  I will just bring the daggerboard to match up to what they have.

I will also look for a couple of pieces to brace up the corners of the transom to the top sides.  There are pictures somewhere where someone has dones this.   I once got caught in the mud at low tide.  I grabbed the gunnel to climb onto the dock and split the top cornor where side is glued to transom.

The link will take you to a picture of the center board plug that I made for my Skerry.  I think the drag produced by the center board slot would be insignificant and not warrent worrying about.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YchrnMbiQTHMiQ4G6   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.