Wood Duck 14 Hybrid Bottom Panels

First time builder here.  I am a little unclear from the manual when the best time to snug up the stitches on the bottom panels.  I have sttiched the panels together and stiched in the bulheads and forms. Things look pretty good in terms of fit.   Do I tigheten everything up now or wait until the side panels are installed?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 14 Hybrid Bottom Panels

Hi kjh,
As best I recall when I built my wife's WD12 hybrid a couple of years ago the stitches get tighted after the bottom and side panel are all joined together.
I couple things to know as a first time builder
1)  there is generally a good bit of trial and error  when tightening the stitches  while trying to get everything nice and tight and minimizing the gaps.  Don't get frustrated!  Just keep experimenting with the sequence and tightness in the areas your having trouble with.  You'll be struggling for a while in an area and then hit that specially sequence and it all comes together.  Wood is a natural product and can be a bit fickle at times.  Patience!
2)  it may not be an issue with the fourteen but I actually had a bottom panel severely crack about a foot from the stern while tightening stitches.  I found out later it helps to soak the panels with warm water in this area just prior to tightening.   After scarfing on a new end piece and using this soaking method I had no more issues.
Have fun with your build!
Dave

RE: Wood Duck 14 Hybrid Bottom Panels

Dave recalls correctly.

First the hull and deck assemblies are individually completed.

Then they are joined together, Of course, on a hybrid there's a lot more work to get the deck assembly to that point.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.