storage rack

Hi, I recently purchased 2 - 17' sea strip and glue sea kayaks.     Now I'm looking at a way to store them.

1.  I'm planning a rack in a sealed shed, never had a mice or rodent problem or anything like that.  There is no worry about water or snow contact, but the shed is not heated, assuming i make sure all of the compartments are dry, is there any issue with the freeze thaw cycles I will see in an ontario, canada winter?

2. store right side up or up side down?  seems right side up would be best in this circumstance, indoors out of weather.

3. rail spacing on the rack.  I plan to shape the rails of the rack to the contours of the bottom of the boat, but is there any concern with the 2 pressure points on the kayak?  i was thinking about setting the rails at the forward and aft bulkheads, or does it really matter?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: storage rack

���I store my boats on a rack inside on their sides. Takes less space from the wall. Regardless, I think the most important thing is to space the support in a way that you do not create a long term bond in your hull. So I try to line up my supports with the bulkhead or some other part that will resist being deformed.

���Bend. Not bond

���Bend. Not bond

My racks vary from 6 to 8 ft. It depends upon the trailer spacing, truck rack spacing, building  stud spacing, post positions, etc.  The boats do fine on all of them. It is a little loose to put the 12ft boats on the 8ft distance racks. But they do fine.  

Supports under bulkheads?........ no real problem for wood/ epoxy composite or fiberglass boats.  Especially when they are in out of the sun.  They never get back on the racks in the same place.   This assumes you aren't going to over load them with weight........ snow,  storage boxes, chain saws, weight bench weights,  etc. 

Upside down or right side up?.........depends. Kayaks right side up with covers outside. Open cockpits and hatches inside to vent. Canoes upside down outside.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.