First time fiberglassing questions

I’m close to fiberglassing the interior of my Sassafras 12 and haven’t worked with fiberglass before. A few questions for the more-experienced:

-Regarding trimming the excess cloth at the tape line between panels two and three, does one need to smooth down the fiberglass edge with sanding or more epoxy after cutting?

-Understanding it’s important to “fill the weave”, it looks like the filling of the weave occurs with the subsequent 2-3 coats of sealing epoxy. Should I sand the initial application of fiberglass/epoxy before applying the first sealing coat? It will probably be at least a few days in hot temperatures between those steps.

-When counting the 2-3 sealing coats, does the initial fiberglass/epoxy layer count as number one? I want to ensure the boat is well-sealed, so wondering how many layers to put on top of after the initial fiberglassing step.

-Finally, since the keel seam is not yet completely filled, would it make sense to put a layer of masking tape on the bottom of the canoe at that seam to prevent drip-through during the fiberglass application?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First time fiberglassing questions

I built a Sassafras 12 Mk. 1 many years ago, so the Mk.2 kit may be different.  However, your last question is a bit odd to me.  If I recall correctly, I filleted all the seams before I applied any glass.  In that case, you should have any worry about the unfilled epoxy you are using to laminate the fiberglass dripping through.  The sequence may have changed, but I still think it only makes sense to put in the fillet and then 'glass over it.  You might want to review that section of manual again before starting.  Sometimes you have to read ahead a bit to make sense of why you're doing something in that order.

Anyway, the initial coat which you use to laminate the fiberglass to the wood should be barely enough to wet out the 'glass just until it isn't white in appearance.  I made the mistake of being too heavy with the epoxy in the bottom of my Sassafras.  The epoxy moves with gravity, slowly but surely and when I turned my back, that extra epoxy settled into the bottom vee and floated the 'glass out of contact with the wood.  Bad juju.  I wound up grinding out the puddle of hardened epoxy and glass and reglassing a strip into the bottom about 6" wide.  The good news it worked out in the end, but the boat wound up at least 2 lbs heavier due to just that goof (excess epoxy and extra glass) and it was a PITA.

So, start with less epoxy than you think you will need and use a plastic spreader AND a brush to spread the small amount of epoxy on a bit at a time and dab with brush end to drive the epoxy into the cloth. Sometimes the spreaders in the kit need to have their edges smoothed with some fine sandpaper so they don't snag the cloth as you go.

The weave will be prominent and I wouldn't use sandpaper at all, except on the rough edges of cut cloth, so you don't abrade the glass before getting at least one if not two coats on after the initial.  Then sand.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.