Kahalo wiring of bulkheads to hull -- help!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to simplify the difficult task (at least for me) of wiring the bulkheads to the hull?  I've tried working from the inside running the copper wire down through the first drilled hole in the hull, making a tight bend to run the wire through the drilled hole in the bulkhead and then struggling to make the tight 90 degree to get the wire through the second hole.   There has to be an easier way....hopefully.  Help?

Charles

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kahalo wiring of bulkheads to hull -- help!

It has been a long time, but I think if you go through the bulkhead first, and then take each end of the wire through the hull, it works pretty well. the kinks will work out when you twist the wire tight.

Joel

What Joel's added is what I found worked best on my Waterlust.

I can only add that a nice, comfortable pair of needle-nosed pliers (mine are ~ 40 years old, maybe 11" long overall, black plastic-coated handles make them easier to hold onto when my hands get sweaty) make moving the wire ends about MUCH easier than with my fingertips in close quarters.

My technique is to push wire through bulkhead hole then grab wire an inch from the end and pull UP. Move plier to end, twist to point end at hole in plank then push wire into hole far enough that a bit sticks through to outside. Then grab THAT end & pull taught.

Repeat on other end, then twist wires together, slowing twisting as wire draws tight and while pushing moderately against hull with my other hand.

Thanks Joel, I certainly give your suggestions a try.  If this kind of fun was easy everyone would be building a Chesapeake toy.  This is my fourth (a chesepeake 17 kayak and two prams).  

My method was to put the wire through the bulkead first then through the hull and only twist the very ends of the wire together leaving a big loop. When they are all done, tighten 'em up.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.