Installing stem molds

Hello, I am Kumpol. I am now building a strip canoe from E.M. White's models on   Gil Gilpatrick's Book but now I wonder that I need to install the end of the stem molds position A or B to the position C. The canoe is a White water plan with 16 feet long and space station is 18 inches. Please advice me. Thank you.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Installing stem molds

Kumpol do you have plans you're working from? Those should specify whether your stem mold edge A gets secured at C or if it's edge B that's of concern.

My guess is it's edge A should be 18" from the nearest mold frame. Putting B at that point would severly alter the curve of the strips being formed to shape for the hull.

Lacking actual instructions in the plan you can always take a few strips and tack them in place on the molds, see what kind of shape they take on. It'll be quickly apparent if stem mold placed with edge B at point C makes strips curve too abruptly as they pass over and beyond that closest frame just to the stern. 

SP makes a good point. Another approach would be to measure overall length of boat and make sure overall length is 16', or something close. The form position might be an inch or so short but you'll make it up with the thickness of the stems.

spclark and Silver Salt, Thank you so much for your kindness advice

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.