White line from where deck glass ends on side CH17

Hello all, 

I followed directions for getting an even line when glassing the deck on a CH17. However, now there is a white line there from where the top glass ends on the side. Maybe it is more noticable because the okume is stained a dark color... I'm thinking of sanding the area and applying another coat of glue. But if I sand into the glass, will it turn white too?

Gonna try to post a pic...

http://i67.tinypic.com/1zyan2g.jpg

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: White line from where deck glass ends on side CH17

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/1zyan2g.jpg[/IMG]

there we go

Tyler,

As you can see, I had exactly the same line on my WD12. A light sanding with #220  paper and a coat of epoxy got rid of the line.

Response part 2

Here it is after the sanding and epoxy. You're definitely on the right path.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I think I’m in the same boat (Pun intended) only worse. Apparently when I glassed the deck I neglected to put fill coats where the deck glass overlaps the hull. I’m starting to see a lot of weave as I’m sanding. What’s the best approach to fix this? I’m thinking go back and rough it up with 120 grit, apply a few more coats of epoxy and start the sanding process over.

Any more efficient ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

Can't get more efficient than that - stop sanding, add epoxy, let it cure and resume sanding.

There's nothing magic that will add epoxy for you, unless you have elves with pots and brushes sneaking into your shop while you sleep (don't we wish!).

Have fun,

Laszlo

Good to hear all is not lost! I really didn’t want to paint. I really like the way the stain looks. It’s an “espresso.” When I sanded the deck/side edge, the underlying grain with the ply layers came out and the contrast looks cool. It was at that point that I decided to leave the coaming clear as well because it’ll match the stripe

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.