Fiberglass and epoxy over open space

Hi all,

Working on my night heron hybrid and when the underside of the deck cured it made the deck not quite flush with the hull after I turned it over. Some spots are great, but a few had gaps between the deck and hull. I placed small wood pieces in the areas where I could. However, after fiberglassing and epoxying them together, I have discovered some gab areas there the is only fiberglass and epoxy over open space. When I push on them the mix cracks, which of course makes me nervous for when I accidentally hit a rock or something when I'm out on the water. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem. Do I need to actually cut out the epoxy and put wood in and do it all over again? I'm hoping not but of course I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this link will work for a picture I took of one of the gaps.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7GcVPApBJntZ00yTk12LTd1WTBCakZ1eXBYWi04Zm11VTRF/view?usp=sharing

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fiberglass and epoxy over open space

If you feel movement/cracking sounds you are correct and filling those gaps would be vergy good. Easier than bits of wood would be thickened epoxy. Can you get to the inside at those locations? With a pastry bag or sringe you could back fill those areas with wood flour thickened epoxy (filleting from the inside), Adding tremedeous strength and giving you complete confidence in your craft.

If the only or easiest access is from the outside, you can consider placing periodic holes in the fiberglass and using a 'runnier' mixure of thickened epoxy to fill those gaps. Again with a pastry bag or sringe.

Or, as you proposed, remove the glass fill the gaps with wood/epoxy/thicken epoxy and reapply the fiberglass.

Have fun 

Joel

RE: Fiberglass and epoxy over open space

Hi Joel,

This makes a ton of sense. There are only a few spots, but unfortunately they are near the bow of the boat and I'm not sure I can get to them from the inside. But I'm going to give it a shot, and if it doesn't work then I'll try what you say for going at it from the outside.

Thanks a ton for the help!

Matt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.