Micro Bootlegger Sport

I see there is a third micro bootlegger set of plans the Sport. Looks like the best of the three to me does anyone know if CLC plans on adding this one as a kit?

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Micro Bootlegger Sport

I have no answer regarding the availability of a MBS kit, but having build two strip boats from plans, I will say that a kit is far less important in strip building.  Unlike cutting large complex shaped parts for a S&G boat, the precut items in a strip kit are smaller and rather simple.  Forms and stems are the only things that come precut in a kit and they are easily to make.  Glue the full sized plans to the wood, rough cut with a jig saw then plane down to the line.

As for supplies, I used CLC's "materials list for plans builders" to create my own kit.  If the plans do not give quantities, use those for a boat of similar size/shape.  Things to buy:  Nick's book, CLC strongback kit, strips (bead and cove for first build), glass, epoxy.  You can make the cockpit combing out of either strips or plywood (I like sapele).  Bulkheads out of foam or plywood.  Shipping whole sheets of ply is expensive, but Boulder Plywoods will cut to half/quarter sheets for easy cheap shipping. CLC flush hatch kit.  Then add the rigging stuff, seats, skeg, footbraces etc as you see fit. 

Picts of my wife's Frej built from plans using CLC supplies as suggested above.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.