Sanding Disc Recommendations?

I am about to start my first wooden boat build (Kaholo 14).  I'm considering using Mirka Abranet sanding discs.  Anyone have experience w/ these on stitch and glue boats?  Other recommendations?  Thanks!

Todd

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

Big fan!

I've used the full range of Abranet discs (on my just-finished NE dory as well as many other woodworking projects), from 80g to 600g, and can't recommend them highly enough.  Absolutely worth the per-unit price premium.  The only non-Abranet discs I purchase now are the extremely coarse grits (40-60g) for very specific tasks.  Good luck!

RE: Sanding Disc Recommendations?

Thanks WildlifeBio!  I've read a review here and there that Abranet is a bit coarser than advertised, what is your experience?  I assume it generates a good (for wood working and bright finishes) scratch patern?

Todd

I've found the Abranet scratch pattern to be far more consistent and manageable than from standard discs.  In my experience using standard discs from big box stores (including other Mirka discs), their main problems are:  a) occasionally large particles embedded in an otherwise finer-grit disc, b) rapid buildup of material on the surface of the disc, and c) rapid wear of the abrasive itself.  The first two lead to scoring.  The Abranets I've used have all had a very consistent abrasive pattern, and their structure mostly eliminates the buildup/clogging issue.

If you go the Abranet route with a random-orbit sander, it's helpful to use a well-ventilated backing pad.  Perfectly even suction across the entire pad might be impossible, but the more 'air routes' you have through the pad, the better.  Hooking into a powered dust collector helps also.  If you're using a hand sanding block (I recommend one built for round pads), I'd suggest removing the disc and blowing it out regularly (in a well-ventilated space).  That net can trap a tremendous amount of material.  But I think you'll find that the Abranet has a much longer working life.

WildlifeBio, thanks for the help!

Todd

Whatever disc you use there is a device ,i dont know what its called, that looks like a big eraser on a stick used to clean the build up out of the sand paper. It was cheap and really extends the usefull life of a disc when sanding epoxy

Big eraser on a stick...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gator-Belt-Cleaning-Stick/1182283

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.