Making a Nesting Version of Skerry?

Hi, guys.  Just joined up here after lurking for awhile.

Building a boat is on my bucket list and am running out of time - so thought I'd better pick up the pace.  I've looked at a number of designs, both here and on other sites, and Skerry seems to be a good fit.  Like the looks, size, weight and versitility.  However, because of storage and handling constraints, a nesting version would work best for me.

Just wondering - has anybody adapted Skerry or similar design (NE Dory?) so it could be cut into two nesting pieces?  Appreciate any comments/advice/reality checks/etc.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Making a Nesting Version of Skerry?

Because of the floatation compartments and c/b trunk, I am not sure how you could ever make a "nesting" version of the Skerry.  I suppose that a "take apart" version would be possible with a bulkhead added just aft of the c/b trunk and under the seat, but that kind of modification is not something that I believe a first time builder could pull off very well.  If nesting is truely a must have requirement, I'd suggest that you stick with a boat designed for that.

When I was choosing a small sailboat to build, take apart/nesting was one of those "like to have" requirements that I ended up giving up on for other considerations.  Besides that PMD (take apart), my favorite nesters are the PT11 and the Sprindrift boats.    

Call CLC and talk to them about a nesting option. They've added it to at least 3 other boats, your call may be the one that tips the balance for the Skerry.

Laszlo

...or, perhaps, taking a cue from the Nesting Expedition Dinghy, they could double the bulkheads that form the floatation chambers in each end of  Skerry so that both bow and stern are detachable, leaving the longer middle section as-is.  The Passagemaker Take-Apart (I built one) is really a bow only version of this, a somewhat different proposition vs. the Eastport Nesting Dinghy, where the separation is closer to amidships, though the midship frame was moved forward of the daggerboard trunk, making the forward section shorter than the aft section so that, with the removable stern seat, it really does "nest" in a way that the Passagemaker Take-Apart does not.

Playing with the sketches a bit, I think giving Skerry detachable bow stern sections like that could get the middle section down to just a bit less than 8'.  I don't have a lot of trouble picking up the 8' section of my PMD Take-Apart (asembled, it is a bit much), and I'm betting this hypothetical 8' Skerry middle section would be some lighter and maybe a good deal easier to handle.  Doing a bit more playing with the sketches, I think the resulting pieces could fit through an ordinary doorway, which means you could keep in your apartment.  Heck, with some clever cradles, you could tilt the main section up on its side and a comfortable angle, put in some big cushions, and use it for a comfy couch when you weren't out boating, with the bow and stern set up level on each side to serve as end tables.  Stow the sailing rig and fins behind the couch

Okay, right, I'm gettin' carried away here...  <;-)

...or not?  I'd love to see a 12', double-ended, ultralight, solo rowboat done like this, the Apartment Dweller's Packboat, even if it wouldn't be quite beamy enough to make a good couch....

.....Michael

Lots of food for thought here.  Good reality check on the floatation compartments of Skerry.  I'm going to ponder (procrastinate?) a bit more before making a move.

I actually bought plans for the 11' nesting version of Spindrift.  Lost a little enthusiasim because of the apparent complexity of the interior - then when I saw the complex (to me) rigging I kind of moved on (I've witnessed people taking a hour or more to rig sailboats at my local launch ramp).  I have thought of investigating a simpler sailing rig for Spindrift - however, I'd have to find some real life examples, since I'm by no means a veteran at sailboat handling.

I really like toe looks of Skerry and also NE Dory.  Better than Passagemaker or Spindrift, in fact.  Maybe I can do a work around on the need/desire for a nesting type boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.