Potential issue with a possible used 17LT purchase

Please help,

I'm currently looking at buying a used Chesapeake 17LT and after looking it over in the pictures (boat is located out of state) i noticed that the coming was mounted about a half inch off center. I know this means that it's really only 1/4 inch out of center and i'm wondering besides being visually off will this really affect the performance of the boat?

I plan on building the exact same model for my fiancee and was just going to buy one as a bit of a short cut having a trip to the Apostle Islands planned for next summer and i don't think building 2 boats in an un-heated Chicago garage over the winter is really something i have time for.

Is this "shortcut" going to cause me more headache than it's worth performance wise. Will i physically notice the difference once i'm in the boat.

Thanks in advance,

John

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Potential issue with a possible used 17LT purchase

John,

If it's truly just the coaming being off-center, you'll never notice it except visually. And it may not actually be off-center. It could, instead, be an optical illusion caused by the camera angle, parallax, lighting, etc. For example, the deck below is actually even, not twisted to the left:

Is the seller willing to run a string down the centerline, or set up sticks to measure twist? That could settle the question for you. At any rate, slight asymmetries and twists can be compensated for through various techniques (paddling style, skegs, etc.) and can be visually disguised through clever paint jobs (turn the coaming into an annular yin-yang with the furthest off-center side being black and the "skinnier side white). The eye is easily distracted.

Laszlo

RE: Potential issue with a possible used 17LT purchase

The seller did admit that it was off by about a half inch so it's not an optical illusion, but that was my first thouhgt when i first saw the picture. Glad it won't make a difference performance wise. Thanks for the info.

John

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.