Rigging proper NE Dory

Being a sailing novice, I have a few questions about rigging the sails.  

How do I go about lashing the mainsheet blocks so they don't slide around the boom?  Can I tie them to the outhaul and a grommet?  Will a simple overhand knot do the trick?

How do I go about properly stowing the sail?  Is it as simple as folding it up or rolling it?

When it come to reefing, do I move the outhauls up to the grommets and tie overhand knots around the reef?

Thanks for sticking with me! 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rigging proper NE Dory

The sheave on the aft end of the boom can be lashed to the eyehole. The one toward the middle does tend to slide around and needs frequent adjustment. I've got it hung from a lashing through a grommet, but more importantly I have a second lashing a bit further up the boom. If I don't do that the force on the grommet distorts the shape of the sail.

I'm discovering that it's best to lash the sail snugly to the yard to remove some little lateral creases in the sail. That's less important on the boom. I keep the outhauls very tight and snugged up to the boom and yard with additional lashings.

You can use a square knot for these lashings, but you should backup the knot with overhand bends on each end. (In many cases the square knot can loosen if not backedup.) A better option is to create a loop around the yard with double overhand bends. You can then adjust this loop as necessary to make it tighter or looser.

There may be better ways to do all this, but so far it seems to work for me.

On stowing the sail -- do the best you can! Part of the fun of the dory is that you can go out rowing (even tandem rowing) and still have everything you need to sail if the wind omes up. Admittedly, it's a fairly tight fit with gear stowed wherever it makes best sense. The sail, of course, remains fully rigged on the spars. Because of the cut of the cloth, it is not really "rolled up." After dropping the sail, I lay the two yards side-by-side and then pull the doubled sail cloth away as far as possible and roll it as well as possible. I then use the uphaul and mainsheet to loosely lash this bundle together (usually after I have dropped the mast, too). That bundle rests on the thwarts just to my left side as I am seated and rowing. The rudder leans atop the transom, and the daggerboard is usually stowed as far up toward the bow as possible.

I don't have the fittings for reefing my sail . . . and so far I have never felt any need for reefing. I'm always looking for more wind in my sail! 

Thanks Birch2!  That response was above and beyond what I was expecting!  Did you order you sail through CLC?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the CLC lug comes equipped with reef line and grommets for the outhauls 

CLC started adding reef points with the 2016 model. I bought my kit in September 2015. . . . But, as I said, I've never wanted to reef my sail. I enjoy sailing until the wind starts gusting over 30 mph. Then I get off the water -- usually just before some squall line hits! We never get steady winds of such velocity.

jim   Lost my rigging instructions; how far from front of boom should the downhaul lashing be? I'm sure mine has shifted. This is for the dory lug sail. Thanks!

This thread http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/39664.html

has a link to a Youtube video showing Birch2's NE Dory out for a sail. Pause the video and you can see exactly how his boat is rigged.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.