how flush should wire holes be filled?

I'm about ready to put the first full coat of epoxy on my Eastport Pram and noticed that many of the wire holes, while filled, are not necessarily perfectly flush with the surface of the boat.  In other words, some of them are effectively tiny divets in the surface of the boat.

Can I expect the subsequent coats of epoxy to fill these little divets, or do I need to re-blob these holes with peanut butter and sand them down again?

Thanks.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: how flush should wire holes be filled?

���That question lurked in the back of my mind throughout my entire build. The manual did not say much about it, so I tried not to worry about it. At the end, I realized all those little divits were going to show through the paint, so I went back and flushed up all the holes that were to be painted. That would have been easier to do in the beginning. The holes in the portions to be left brought add a little character that I kind of like, so I left them. Hooper Williams - Brevard, NC

���Bright (dumb autospell)

You will discover that wood sands a lot faster than epoxy.  You should strive to leave the epoxy in the holes a micron shy of flush.  Then you can quickly sand the wood down to the level of the epoxy in the holes.  Otherwise, you may sand a donut shaped depression around the fills.

Another option would be to go ahead and epoxy the whole boat, then finish filling the holes with thickened or unthickened epoxy.  At that point, a cabinet scraper will bring the fills flush quickly with minimal sanding to clean up.  

Hooper

Hooper's suggestion's how I'd approach this; once an initial coat of epoxy's been applied, fill the holes then carefully scrape/sand those first before sanding the other areas.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.