Problem with mast partner doubling plate on Jimmy Skiff

I noticed than when I dry-fit the mast partner doubling plate on the underside of the deck, it sticks out from underneath the deck an inch. The deck overhangs the bulkhead 4.5" - which appears to be correct according to the plans, but the doubling plate is 5.5", hence the 1" overshoot. The top of the bulkhead is within an 1/8" of the 29 5/8" called for in the plans.

Did I cut the deck too short (it extends 34" from the bow), or can I just cut the doubling plate down to come flush to the deck?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Problem with mast partner doubling plate on Jimmy Skiff

Austin,

Looking at the pictures from the construction gallery, it looks as if your deck is just fine and the plate is meant to be cut off.

You're going to have a lot of fun with that boat. I still have fond memories of sailing it on the Rhode River at Okoumefest 15-16 years ago.

Laszlo

Great, thank you Laszlo, I appreciate the help.  I will cut the doubling plate back a little bit

I can't wait to get it on the water - it's been a few months in the making now and I'm hoping to get it ready for warm spring weather.

Any tips on sailing the JS?

Keep the pointy end forward and the mast aimed up :-)

Seriously, it's very easy easy to sail. If you've ever sailed anything before, you won't have any trouble.

Laszlo

Thanks, L.

I can NEVER remember, is it pointy end up and mast forward, or the other way around?  I usually just try one and if performance seems a bit off, I pump the thing out and try it the other way.

I am going to print and laminate this mnemonic and nail it to the bottom of the boat where I can always see it.

And no I have not and yes it's still sitting there.  It's now just used when I am introducing myself to a new therapy group or attractive woman.  "oh, yeah and I'm building a boat".

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.