Chesapeake 16 small deckbeam

Chesapeake 16 plans place the small deckbeam 20 inches from the bow, mine fits at 24 inches. I cannot imagine this makes a difference but if it does I will trim it to fit at 20 inches. Will it make a difference?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16 small deckbeam

I helped 5 friends build C's in my shop, with the little 'beam'. It never helped, and just adds a lump to the deck. Building my own boat, I left it out and the deck went on much easier and smoother. I would leave it out of any future boat I built. 

Very helpful, thanks.

Mike

i have a slight difference in perspective.

i would consider cutting it down and put it where the plans suggest.

the issue is not really structural but is cosmetic (and i will admit, perhaps a difference that most people would not notice).

the deck on the clc series is supposed to be rounded/curved.  as a practical matter, when working with plywoood, if you don't have that little deck beam, the deck will flatten out a little more than the design would otherwise have it.  the big deck beam towards the front of the cockpit ceases to exert any curving force by the time to get up towards the bow.  so it you want the boat 'true' to the design....use the deckbeam.

if you don't care and it looks fine without it.  leave it out and save the time and the weight.

h

Thanks, I do appreciate the information. Don't know what I will do yet.

Mike   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.