Epoxy alternative

Just a thought at this time. Would it be possible, safe, to use fiberglass resin to coat the hull of a boat instead of epoxy? I'm looking at building the Chesapeake 18 this summer and I have some fiberglass resin already. Please note that I don't mean to use it for gluing the hull together.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy alternative

Notquitesure,

Polyester resin (what you are calling fiberglass resin) is not as strong as epoxy resin, not as tough and also does not stick well to epoxy resin. It aslo will not "glue" the fiberglass to the wood like expoy resin will. That being said, it might work, but I would stick to the epoxy. Also polyester resin is very high in nasty VOCs and should only be used with a good resperator in a well vented space. Very bad for your health. Meanwhile, Epoxy resin has very low VOCs and is much safer to play with, will not stink up your workspace for weeks ... Of course one should follow proper health habits with the expoy too.

I do a good deal of repair to fiberglass boats for my sailing club's junior program and a high school sailing team. I like to use expoy to do the repairs because I find the health impact much nicer.

Okay, thanks. Epoxy it is.

Okay, thanks. Epoxy it is.

Notquitesure,

There are basic 2 kinds of fiberglass resin that I'm familiar with, epoxy and polyester.  I assume that you're referring to polyester.  Having used both, I believe that epoxy resin is superior in every respect (except cost).  The MAS epoxy resin sold by CLC is easy to mix and use, virtually odorless, much stronger, and a better water barrier (sealant) than polyester resin.  If you still want to use polyester resin, you'll need breathing gear that will eat up all your savings.  With epoxy, you only need protection from direct contact (rubber gloves) and particulates (when sanding).  You couldn't pay me enough to use polyester.

Regards,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.