Jimmy Skiff spaced inwales and transportation

I need some advice from you wiser buildiers.

I have stitched, glued, glassed, and epoxied the hull of my Jimmy Skiff. I am doing spaced inwales, which raises questions about the sequence of the next steps. 

First, a little background: The location where I started building the boat is 300 miles from where I live. I want to add structural rigitity to the boat as quickly as possible so that I can bring it home on a flatbed trailer and finish it here. 

My options are:

A.) Install the spaced inwales next. 

B.) Install the outer rail next. This would be faster than the inwales while still adding strength. It would also fair up the sides of the boat to make glueing the spaced inwales easier. Is there any danger of the outer sheer clamp "squeezing in" the sides of the boat? If so, should I use spreaders while gluing or possibly...

C.) Glue the seats and bulkheads next, followed by the outer sheer clamp. This would 

And the corresponding question: at what point do you think the boat will be rigid enough to transport? 

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Jimmy Skiff spaced inwales and transportation

Davis,

Wise-ass is a good substitute for wiser, right?

Anyway, it's a flat boat on a flat trailer, so if you attach it securely and maybe put a spreader across the beam at the widest point, I'd think that would be plenty stiff enough, even without adding anything else. If it was my boat that's what I'd do.

As far as the outer rails go, if anything they would spread the sides, not compress them. Think of a bow. And you're right, they would definitely stiffen up the boat.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.