Epoxying hull planks

This is my first post since starting my Eastport Pram. After stitching the hull together and turning the boat over, I have started to epoxy(thickened with Cab-OSil) the spaces between planks. Since it seems my syringe technique was not always consistent I know notice that on some areas the epoxy does not come all the way up to the edge of the overlap of the lower plank. Should I lightly sand the hardened epoxy and add more were needed or since the fix is more for cosmetic reasons, wait until I am in the finishing stage and use epoxy thickened with wood flower to fill in, making any sanding easier.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxying hull planks

If I remember correctly, I tooled the epoxy mixture at the plank joints on my Skerry. I think I used a tongue depressor.  You may be able to heat up the epoxy mixture already on there depending on how old it is. Just use a propane torch and apply the flame directly to the epoxy.  JUST KIDDING..  Maybe a hair dryer would work, others on this forum would know.  Maybe you'll have to buy a cheap heat gun but be careful because a heat gun will char the planks.  I'm going to load a photo of one of my joints but don't know if I'm allowed...

RE: Epoxying hull planks

No need to sand or heat the epoxy before adding more. It's not unusual for there to be low spots as the mix settles into the laps and there's always shrinkage. I use a plastic spreader to top off the laps and smooth them out. Doesn't matter if you use Cab-o-sil or wood flour to fill. Page 34 of the Eastport Nesting Pram shows what the finished laps should look like. There's probably a similar photo in the standard version.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.