Wood D"uck 12 Hybrid Temp Deck Forms too big?

So I installed the temporary hull forms... did the correct tack glue... Pulled the forms did the fillets and fiberglass to the interior.. Flipped the boat and did Cabon Fiber on the outside... Looks amazing.  I did a second fill coat on the interior and now when I go to install the temporary deck forms they are all aprox .25-1.25" too big for the boat where they are supposed ot be.... When I stretch the boat out to make them fit they just pop out..?  If I hot glue them in place I am afraid the strips wont lay right...???? + The fill coat has made it like glass and the temp forms have nothing to get traction on... So my question is... Do I trim the temp forms on the sides..?  Or stretch the boat out and hot glue them...? If I stretch the boat out I am afraid that when I am done stripping the deck that the hull will go back into place and now my deck is an 1"+ larger than the hull..? Also if I move the forms back to larger areas of the hull then wont this move the comb out of the correct area..?
Another question I have is I am looking to hot glue the strips into place ... Question one is... I dont want to put plastic down right..?  As the strips need to be glued to the temp forms... Question 2.  How the heck to I get the forms knocked out if the temp forms are glued to the hull and the deck is glued to the hull..?
So confused right now.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood D"uck 12 Hybrid Temp Deck Forms too big?

Hi. I'm builidng two WD12 hybrids right now. Yes, the deck forms seem to wide for the hull.  Don't trim them, they'll go. DO put them in the right place, othewise the placment and proportions of the boat will be off. I find that if I put 2 small clamps on the hull just aft or forward of where I want the temp form, then use a spread across the hull between them, it will hold the hull open while I set and hot glue in the tem deck forms.  

Yes, the hull will spring back when you pull the temp deck forms (after you'v'e built the deck (and NO, you don't glue the strips to the forms, just to each other - so you DO want to put down plastic over the temp hull forms before laying your strips). I had to tack (brad nails or a finish nail gun) the outermost strip to the temp forms to get started, then use clamps and wedges with blocks to bow each additional inside strip into place. When your done and your wood glue bewteen all strips is cured (not hot glue) then the deck will lift off in one piece so you can glass the inside.  You may want to go back through the build manual, some of these steps are only  briefly described there, but it will make sense when you work through it.  Good luck. 

Russell, with the hull springing back when removing the temp forms how does one get the hull spread to the correct width without the temp forms when putting the deck back on the hull for the final time?

Thanks,

Jay

I am also building the WD10 and 12 hybrid, I have not got to that stage yet but what I did was took the bulkhead form and next form foreward added the plank thinkness to it and cut it out, Then took a measurement from the keel line and took that distance and transfered to the "jig" now I have a cradle for the hull to rest in and when I clamp the sheer to the cutouts the sheer sure fairs nice.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.