San O Filleting all prior to fibreglass....

Hi there,

I am now filleting all cracks and holed on the san o using a mixture of the epoxy resin/wood chips and cabosill.

After doing this I sanded as much of the raised areas as possible from the dried epoxy mixture.

Once sanding raised areas off, Some of the mixture is ingrained in the wood. This I do not need to sand off as the final resin process, these marks will not show up?

Thanks.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: San O Filleting all prior to fibreglass....

James,

If you mean the wood is discolored where the fillet material was sanded down that means there is still some fillet material left and it will definitely show up on the finished paddleboard. The best way to tell is to use a damp cloth and go over the area in question. That will give you an idea of what the finished boat will look like. You can carefully sand off any areas that remain. Or you might want to try using a carbide scraper instead of sandpaper.

George

Oh ok,

thats going to take ages to sand all the light marks of that have seeped into the wood.

Are you sure thats the mixture and not just the wet resin that has seaped into the wood as its all flat and no raised bits?

Perhaps to save time, I should just go ahead and fibreglass, I could always paint the hull? I dont think it would be much heavier?

Try the wet cloth. If it's darker because some epoxy has seaped in the area will all look the same color. No need to paint if that's the case. Sounds like that may be what you're seeing.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.