varnishing over bad fillets

I admit,I got a little messy on my fillets on my Kaholo.  Looks like I will have a lot of sanding to do to smooth things out.  My question is, am I doomed to painting now, or can I sand down enough that if I varnish or stain, it will still look ok?  I have lots of wide spots where the fillets are noticeabley darker than the wood grain. Just an overall messy job on my part, inexperience and just got too quick once I started and it began getting messy.  Lesson learned, take my time and go slowly going forward.  Any advice or experience is welcome.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: varnishing over bad fillets

Aren't your fillets on the inside of your Kaholo?  If so then no need to varnish the inside of the sup.  now if you got the thickened epoxy and wood flour on the outside, then you will need to do some sanding.  Good luck!

well,that may be a bigger problem. I interpreted from the directions to do both the outside and inside.  And the pic in the directions looks like he's working the outside of the bow.  That said, can I just sand the bejeezus out of it, and eventually it will be ok?  Or , will there always be a color difference now?????

Yes, you can sand it down, but I would be careful as you get to the surface of the wood.  the plys of the okume are very thin and if you sand through the top ply, you will change the color of the wood.  You many want to sand it smooth and then paint it. 

Chad

"doomed" is so pessimistic :-)

A painted boat can be every bit as beautiful as a varnished one, many times even more so. So if you end up unable to varnish, don't feel bad about it. Express your creativity through paint.

Laszlo

Often judicious use of a scraper is faster and easier to control than a sander. 

Firm pad on sander is better than soft.  Hand sand as you get closer to the ply.

Or as Laszio noted, paint can be beautiful if you are not happy after the sanding.

And.  WHATEVER YOU DO IT WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN HOW IT PERFORMS.

Ed

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.