A small crack showed up in my board. Someone tell me the world won't end

While I was sealing the interior of my Kaholo today I noticed a super small crack between bulkheads 4 and 5. It is probably less than a mm wide and a few inches long. I am fairly confident it was not there when I filleted yesterday. What should I do? It does not seem wide enough to fill with a wood flour mix. It does not show through on the hull exterior. 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: A small crack showed up in my board. Someone tell me the world won't end

Since no one else seems to feel like weighing in on this, here's my two cents worth (and probably worth just about that much).  I would use the wood flour mix, and fill the crack with that using a putty knife to force it into the crack and simultaneously clean it off the surrounding ply.  Then, while the epoxy mix is still setting up, lay down a 2" wide strip of fiberglass cloth over it and epoxy that down with unthickened epoxy.  I would use a strip that would overlay the ends of the crack by about an inch on each end.  You could use blue masking tape to keep everything neat.  Probably overkill, but it will keep the world from ending, and because it's on the inside of the hull, you'll be the only one who knows it's there.  

Bret, Peter pretty much nails it. I might leave out the wood flour mix but I'd definitely put a small piece of fiberglass cloth over the crack. No need to fill the weave. Just wet it out. Like he says, nobody will ever see it. The first paddleboard I built I wrote inside, " If you're reading this  the board has had a catastrophic event." So sign your name, make a comment about fixing the crack or assure yourself the world is not coming to an end. Everything will be fine. 

George K

Thanks guys. This helps, and is reassuring. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.